West Africa Technology Fair: Sustaining Momentum towards Agricultural Transformation
The Technology Fair is organized jointly by CORAF (West and Central African Council for Agricultural Research and Development) and TAAT (Technologies for African Agricultural Transformation), under the auspices of the Economic Community of West African States ECOWAS. The event is aimed at showcasing TAAT technologies, along with those from CORAF’s Centers of Specialization/Excellence, in order to open avenues for brokerage and uptake. It is seen as a platform for putting proven technologies and deliverables on the “market”, creating a situation where demand meets supply, and exposing them to potential “buyers”. The Fair will aim at establishing new partnership ventures with the private sector and other technology “buyers”. It will also help to further mainstream proven technologies into country agricultural programs, towards transformation and socio-economic development. In this regard the Fair will build upon the High-level Dialogue on Feeding Africa: Leadership to Scale up Successful Innovations, organized by AfDB and IFAD in April, 2021, and also leverage on the United Nations Food Systems Summit outcomes.
Key Objectives of the Technology Fair
The Fair, essentially, is a “marketplace” event. It will have elements of Demand, Supply and Feasibility, driving its goal of increased technology uptake and mainstreaming towards agricultural transformation.
The key objectives are:
- To showcase tested and proven technologies of TAAT and CORAF for agricultural transformation.
- To deepen understanding and familiarization on the functioning and potential of the technologies
- To familiarize stakeholders with technology profiling instruments and platforms of TAAT and CORAF for assessment and acquisition of technologies in response to demand.
- To strengthen connections between technology ‘owners’ and the private sector and other technology users.
- To establish new investment and collaborative partnerships that lead to project scaling and resource mobilization.
Target audience will include
- Country Ministries of Agriculture and other relevant Ministries.
- Regional bodies (ECOWAS, UEMOA, CORAF, FARA, AFAAS, AUDA-NEPAD-Grow Africa, CILSS)
- National Agricultural Research and Extension (NARES) organizations.
- Country technology delivery organizations, including ADPs and NGOs.
- Private sector in agricultural value chain and transformation.
- Development Partners (AfDB, BMGF, GIZ, IFAD, USAID, EU, World Bank, SDC and AGRA)
The Technology Fair will be organized in HYBRID format. This means it will have a physical dimension (workshop, booths and field events); and virtual dimension through live-streaming and Zoom platform for external participants. Technology showcasing and brokerage will be provided through booth displays, demonstrations, and videos on various technology operations.
Extensive communication products will be rolled out before, during, and after the event in collaboration with organizing partners through various media channels. A joint communication team of TAAT and CORAF will support the documentation, production, and dissemination of information materials such as publications, flyers, and videos on technologies in agricultural transformation.
The Technology Fair is organized by TAAT and CORAF, under the auspices of ECOWAS. The Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), the Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA), and the Institut Sénégalais de Recherche Agricole-ISRA, will be co-hosts in this initiative.
Dates: 25-29 October 2021
Venue: Venue: King Fahd Palace Hotel, Dakar – Senegal
Time: 10hrs – 17h00 (GMT) daily
Download Presentation slides
Day 1 Slides
- An Emerging One CGIAR – A source of Technologies and Innovation: The WCA Context
- TAAT: An integrated Program that builds sustainable and resilient food systems
- Sorghum and Millet Compact
- Rice compact
- Wheat Compact
- Maize Compact
- High-Iron Beans
Day 2 Slides
- Fall Armyworm Compact
- Water Enabler Compact
- Aquaculture Compact
- Cassava Compact
- Orange-fleshed sweet potato Compact
Day 4 Slides
Day 5 Slides
Day 5: https://youtu.be/Tre5chFAlrc